If you’re planning a trip to The Lost Kitchen, one of the most sought-after restaurants in the United States, you’re probably wondering where to stay. Located in the tiny town of Freedom, Maine, The Lost Kitchen doesn’t have its own accommodations, so visitors need to look elsewhere for a place to sleep. Luckily, there are plenty of options in the surrounding area. In this guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know to choose the best place to stay for your visit.
About The Lost Kitchen
Before we dive into accommodations, let’s talk a little bit about The Lost Kitchen. This renowned restaurant, founded by chef Erin French, is famous for its locally sourced, farm-to-table cuisine. French and her team serve a rotating menu that reflects the seasons in Maine, and they only serve dinner four nights a week (Thursday through Sunday). Reservations are notoriously difficult to secure, with the restaurant only accepting reservations by mail during a brief window in the spring.
The Lost Kitchen is located in Freedom, a town with a population of just over 700 people. While it’s a beautiful and picturesque area, there are few options for accommodations in Freedom itself. However, there are plenty of places to stay within driving distance, so you can make a whole trip out of your visit to The Lost Kitchen.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Accommodations
When looking for a place to stay near The Lost Kitchen, there are a few factors to consider. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Location: Consider how far you’re willing to drive to get to The Lost Kitchen. Are you looking for accommodations that are within walking distance, or are you okay with a short drive?
- Budget: Accommodations can range from budget-friendly to ultra-luxurious, so consider how much you’re willing to spend.
- Amenities: What do you need in a hotel or rental property? Do you want a pool, a gym, a kitchen, or other specific features?
- Availability: Keep in mind that accommodations can book up quickly, especially during peak travel times. It’s a good idea to book as early as possible to ensure you get the accommodations you want.
With those factors in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best places to stay near The Lost Kitchen.
Accommodations in Freedom, Maine
As we mentioned earlier, there aren’t a lot of options for accommodations in Freedom itself. However, there are a few options to consider:
The Lost Kitchen Guest Rooms
If you’re looking for the closest possible accommodations to The Lost Kitchen, look no further than the guest rooms at the restaurant itself. Erin French recently renovated the upstairs of The Mill at Freedom Falls, the historic building that houses The Lost Kitchen, to create three guest rooms. Each room is beautifully decorated with vintage and antique furnishings and features a private bathroom.
Staying in one of The Lost Kitchen’s guest rooms is a unique experience that allows you to fully immerse yourself in the restaurant’s atmosphere. You’ll be just a few steps away from the kitchen and dining room, and you’ll be able to take advantage of the beautiful Maine scenery surrounding the building. However, keep in mind that availability is limited and these rooms book up quickly. You’ll also need to be prepared to pay a premium for the convenience of staying on site.
Other Local Accommodations
If The Lost Kitchen’s guest rooms aren’t available or don’t fit your budget, there are a few other options in Freedom to consider.
Here are a few other local accommodations near The Lost Kitchen:
- The Farmhouse Inn: This charming bed and breakfast is located in nearby Unity, Maine, just a 15-minute drive from The Lost Kitchen. The Farmhouse Inn features cozy rooms with country decor, a daily homemade breakfast, and a beautiful garden for guests to explore.
- Unity House Inn: Another option in Unity is the Unity House Inn, a historic property that was originally built in 1800. The inn features seven guest rooms, each with its own private bath. Guests can enjoy a daily continental breakfast and relax in the spacious common areas.
- Lakefront Cabin Rental: If you’re looking for a more rustic option, consider renting a cabin on Lake St. George. This serene lake is located just a few miles from The Lost Kitchen and offers plenty of opportunities for swimming, kayaking, and fishing. There are several rental properties available in the area, ranging from basic cabins to luxurious lakefront homes.
Accommodations in Nearby Towns
If you’re willing to drive a bit further, there are plenty of other towns in the area that offer a wider range of accommodations. Here are a few of the best options:
Belfast is a picturesque coastal town located about 40 minutes from The Lost Kitchen. It’s home to a variety of accommodations, including charming bed and breakfasts, waterfront hotels, and rental properties.
- The Jeweled Turret Inn: This elegant bed and breakfast is located in a beautifully restored Victorian mansion in the heart of Belfast. The inn features five guest rooms, each with its own unique decor, and a gourmet breakfast is served each morning.
- Belfast Harbor Inn: If you’re looking for a waterfront hotel, the Belfast Harbor Inn is a great option. The hotel offers stunning views of Penobscot Bay and features comfortable rooms, an on-site restaurant, and an indoor pool and hot tub.
- Rental Properties: There are also plenty of rental properties available in Belfast, ranging from cozy apartments to spacious waterfront homes. Check out websites like Airbnb and VRBO to find the perfect place for your stay.
Camden is another coastal town located about an hour from The Lost Kitchen. It’s known for its beautiful harbor, charming downtown area, and variety of outdoor activities.
- 16 Bay View: This boutique hotel is located in the heart of downtown Camden and offers luxurious rooms with views of the harbor. The hotel features an on-site restaurant and rooftop bar, and guests can take advantage of the complimentary bicycles to explore the town.
- Hartstone Inn & Hideaway: This elegant bed and breakfast is located in a historic mansion and features 21 guest rooms and suites. Guests can enjoy a gourmet breakfast each morning and relax in the lush garden.
- Rental Properties: There are plenty of rental properties available in Camden, including waterfront homes, cozy cottages, and spacious apartments. Check out websites like Airbnb and VRBO to find the perfect place for your stay.
If you’re willing to drive a bit further, Portland is a great option for accommodations. This vibrant coastal city is about two hours from The Lost Kitchen and offers a wide range of hotels, rental properties, and other accommodations.
- The Press Hotel: This luxurious hotel is located in a beautifully restored historic building in downtown Portland. The Press Hotel features stylish rooms with modern amenities, an on-site restaurant, and a rooftop bar with stunning views of the city.
- Inn by the Sea: If you’re looking for a beachfront hotel, Inn by the Sea is a great option. This eco-friendly hotel is located just a few minutes from Portland and features comfortable rooms with ocean views, an on-site restaurant, and a full-service spa.
- Rental Properties: There are plenty of rental properties available in and around Portland, ranging from charming apartments in the city to sprawling beachfront homes. Check out websites like Airbnb and VRBO to find the perfect place for your stay.
Tips for Choosing the Best Accommodations
With so many options to choose from, it can be tough to know where to start when it comes to choosing the best accommodations for your stay near The Lost Kitchen. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Consider your budget: Accommodations can vary widely in price, so it’s important to have a clear idea of your budget before you start your search. Keep in mind that some options, like rental properties, may require additional fees for things like cleaning or security deposits.
- Think about your needs: Do you prefer a more rustic, outdoorsy experience, or are you looking for something more luxurious? Do you need a place that’s pet-friendly, or that offers specific amenities like a pool or hot tub? Be sure to keep your needs and preferences in mind as you search for accommodations.
- Read reviews: One of the best ways to get a sense of what a property is really like is to read reviews from other travelers. Sites like TripAdvisor and Yelp can be great resources for finding honest, unbiased reviews from other guests.
- Book early: Since The Lost Kitchen is such a popular destination, it’s a good idea to book your accommodations well in advance. This can help ensure that you get the best possible rates and that you have your pick of the available options.
- Consider location: While you may be primarily focused on finding accommodations near The Lost Kitchen, it’s also worth considering the surrounding area. Are there other attractions or activities you’d like to explore while you’re in the area? If so, you may want to look for accommodations that are more centrally located.
With these tips in mind, you should be well on your way to finding the perfect accommodations for your stay near The Lost Kitchen. Whether you’re looking for a charming bed and breakfast, a luxurious hotel, or a cozy rental property, there are plenty of great options to choose from in this beautiful corner of Maine.
Additional Tips for Enjoying Your Stay
Once you’ve chosen your accommodations, it’s time to start planning the rest of your trip. Here are a few additional tips to help you make the most of your stay near The Lost Kitchen:
- Make your reservations early: If you’re planning on dining at The Lost Kitchen, be sure to make your reservations well in advance. The restaurant is only open for part of the year, and tables tend to book up quickly.
- Explore the area: While The Lost Kitchen is a must-visit destination, there are plenty of other things to see and do in the area. Take a hike in the nearby Camden Hills State Park, explore the quaint shops and galleries in nearby Camden, or take a scenic drive along the coast.
- Try the local cuisine: Maine is known for its delicious seafood, so be sure to try some of the local specialties during your stay. Lobster, clam chowder, and blueberry pie are all must-tries.
- Pack appropriately: The weather in Maine can be unpredictable, so be sure to pack layers and clothing that can handle a variety of conditions. It’s also a good idea to bring comfortable shoes for exploring the area.
- Be respectful of the local environment: Maine is known for its beautiful natural scenery, so be sure to do your part to help keep it that way. Practice Leave No Trace principles, and be mindful of any posted rules or regulations when exploring the area.
With these tips in mind, you should be well on your way to planning an unforgettable trip to The Lost Kitchen and the surrounding area. Whether you’re looking to indulge in some world-class cuisine, explore the beautiful natural scenery, or simply relax and unwind in a cozy bed and breakfast, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful corner of Maine.
Whether you’re a foodie looking to experience the magic of The Lost Kitchen, or simply seeking a peaceful getaway in a beautiful coastal town, there are plenty of great accommodations to choose from in and around Freedom, Maine. From cozy bed and breakfasts to luxurious hotels and rental properties, there’s something for every budget and taste.
By keeping in mind your budget, needs, and preferences, and by reading reviews and booking early, you can ensure that you find the perfect accommodations for your stay near The Lost Kitchen. And with plenty of other things to see and do in the area, from exploring the local natural scenery to trying the delicious local cuisine, you’re sure to have an unforgettable trip to this beautiful corner of Maine.
So start planning your trip today, and get ready to experience all that The Lost Kitchen and the surrounding area have to offer!